Sunday, December 28, 2014

Game #1: Sunset Overdrive

Sunset Overdrive
Platform: XB1
Total Playtime: ~12 Hours

What a fun, clean game. Not clean as in language mind you, I had a building tell me to fuck off. Clean as in polish, which is kinda mandatory in a game so focused around locomotion. Controls were incredibly tight, framerate stayed steady, and I only encountered a few very minor visual issues.

It was fun playing an open world game again where travel around the city was a big part of gameplay. It reminded me of Spider-Man 2, where you steadily unlocked more and more tools to get around and you honestly felt like a badass when you mastered everything and could put it all together. Once you master navigating your environment, you feel, and look, pretty damn cool as you traverse the world. When a game makes me rather run somewhere on my own instead of fast travel just because it's more fun, that's a win in my book.

Length was what you expect for a game like this, though there are still collectibles and side missions I didn't finish. I typically don't though in open world titles. Too many painful memories from having to 100% games for sprints. Difficulty was a little on the easy side, especially with checkpoint style respawning where you pick up right where you left off. Oh, I didn't try multiplayer either, which is just one of the single player activities in co-op.

I enjoyed my time with this one. Next up, I start working through the Master Chief collection starting with Halo 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment